Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mackinac Island

Saturday I went up to Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw) Island. It's an island in the straights of the Great Lakes, between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. There are no cars available on the island, only bikes and horses. It's wonderfully calm without all the traffic, but the thick smell of horse manure is a trade off.

We took about an 8 mile a bike ride around the island, which isn't all that far, but I was amazed I could do considering I haven't ridden a bike in about three years. The water was beautiful! It is turquoise blue like the tropics, but sure isn't warm like the tropics! If you ever make it up to Michigan, stop and see the lakes if you have the chance! The batteries in my camera died, so the only pictures I have are from a friend's camera. There were some scenes I would have loved to have pictures of, but these will have to do!

9 comments:

Michael Harris said...

What a cool place and cool people!

Becca said...

Awesome pictures! It looks so beautiful. I bet it was really relaxing just riding bikes around; we'll have to come visit you sometime and go there :). So, funny thing -- the girl named Amy in your pictures -- is she LDS? I'm pretty sure she was in one of my wards in Provo for awhile. I'm trying to remember which one. I want to say it was in the tree streets (between campus and the mtns.). Crazy!!

Don Harris said...

Great pictures. I am glad Jason had the camera, so you are in most of them. What a nice group of friends!

Steph said...

Yeah, Amy was in Provo at BYU. She was actually Julie's roommates' roommate right before Julie moved in. Isn't that funny? She was destined to know our family. :)

Becca said...

That's crazy! What are the odds . . .

Julie Adams said...

Which of my roommates' roommate was she? I knew she looked familiar. Great pics!

Steph said...

She was Wendy's and Aleena's roommate in the Moon apartments. Probably in the summer before you moved in.

Tiffany said...

Where did you get the bikes? Sounds liksa blast!

Steph said...

We rented them at this cool little bike shop. It was a blast, even though I was a little sore the next day :).