Saturday, April 26, 2008

Spring in Cville



Here are some pictures of the last few weeks. We've been really blessed with some warmer weather, and the trees have come out in full bloom. It's so beautiful! I go on these walks at lunch through this open trail that goes past 4-5 ponds, and the thing is just lined with flowering trees. I've also seen several turtles sunning themselves in the pond. I have to ask myself if it really could get much more gorgeous, and I don't think it could.

The parade pictures are from the Dogwood Festival parade that my friend Becky (and her son Lincoln) and I went to this morning. It was pretty cool! It was a really long parade with a lot of old cars and beauty queens and girls twirling batons. Oh yes, and a LOT of Shriners. They drive these little mini cars and have bands and really go all out. There was also a rather sizable group of Jazzercisers that danced in the parade, and I was so amazed that they were bold enough to do that in public. Kudos! The other thing of interest was the Miss Black Albemarle (that's the county we live in). This of course begs the question of whether there was a Miss White Albemarle. Nope. I'm not sure how to interpret the fact that there was a Miss Black Albemarle; it just struck me as kind of odd that we have to distinguish beauty pageants by race. Any thoughts on this?

Well, enough for now. Mike had a scout campout last night and didn't get a lot of sleep because of the birds (and the boys) that seemed to wake up at an early hour. They were camping on 14 acres of gorgeous rolling hills owned by the other scout leader. How lucky we are! He had a good time, and the weather was perfect, but he's a little sleepy :).

3 comments:

Don Harris said...

Beautiful trees and excellent commentary. I want a closeup of the man in the Aladdin costume....

Steph said...

I disagree with dad, I would NOT want a close up of the man in the Aladdin costume. Also, that is interesting that they have to separate things, including beauty pageants, by race. It seems like a pretty common thing, though. I think in most ways racism was brought on by white people, but it is defiantly continued by black people just as much as white people. I think it is so sad, and I think we have made a lot of progress, but it is still a huge problem in our country. It's just more apparent in some regions than others. Anyway, that's just my take on it.

Don Harris said...

I also loved the picture of Becca and son. Best wishes on finals and moving to DC.